A while back, I had a day off of school, and I chose to spend the day with him in Fairview. Fairview, while really a town, has become known to us as dad's property, located in said town. When Dad's barn in Marion burned down, he kinda went crazy without something to work on. So, he transfered his energies to fairview. The most amazing thing about it is that he does it for his family. So that we can have a place to visit away from the busy life. And it is beautiful there!
One day, while in Fairview, dad decided that he had to get rid of a big tree so that he could continue building the fence he was working on. This tree was massive! And he just began cutting it down, by himself, with his trusty chainsaw. Well, a big huge branch buckled somewhere and was lying under pressure. Dad cut it, and it flew back and hit him in the head. He cut his head open, put some cloth to it, cleaned up all his tools, packed up, locked up and drove from Fairview to Provo to go to the ER. That's the kind of stuff dad does. :)
So, this particular day off, I went to help him with the fence. But before we could continue on with the fence, we had to move the big logs from the mentioned tree, into his truck. (dad thinks his daughters are boys and that we can do all things his sons can...or almost). These were no small logs. These were like trees with no branches on them. Unmovable in my opinion. However, dad had a plan. (Like always.)
We were to put some long boards down on the ground and have them go over the hill and onto the bed of his truck. We were then to roll the logs onto the boards, across the boards, and drop them into the truck. I was leery, to say the least. But dad is dad, and that is just what we did.
This was not what I had anticipated, but it was fun! And it felt good! And I love my dad for teaching me to work. And for letting me take a nap on the ground afterward, while he dug holes for some trees he was planting. I admire him for his love of nature and for his ability to see a job that needs to be done, and do it. He has the strength of ten men, and I love that about him, also.
Fairview is beautiful! And it will be a wonderful place for our familiy to enjoy quality time together. Thanks Dad!
I love this story. Sounds like a lot of fun working with your dad. By the way... those were some honkin' big logs! Good job!Fairview looks beautiful.
ReplyDeleteSounds like something Dan would and wants to do. We love your Dad!
ReplyDeleteTiffany, it was definitely fun moving them. He is a great adventurer...if that's a word. :)
ReplyDeleteAnd Amy, I'm sure Dan would do something like that. Fits him.
Great post hermana!
ReplyDeleteHe is amazing. It's true. Fortunately he has daughters to documents that fact with beautiful photos. :)
ReplyDeletehello, me again! anyway, your dad sounds like a great rolemodel, and what strikes me most is how you remember the work as 'fun.' THAT's quite an accomplishment on his part ;)
ReplyDeleteCassia, I'm glad you commented again! And he is pretty sneaky, getting me to think it was fun! :)
ReplyDelete