Monday, January 4, 2010

babysitting

When I was between the ages of 12-14, I did what many girls do; I babysat. I was pretty good at it and almost always enjoyed it.

I was driving down state street the other day with Cory and as he drove I looked out the window. I saw an old house I used to babysit in all the time and I was flooded with fun memories. This house was creepy! It was very large, and old 15 years ago. Every part of the house creaked and made weird noises. I was never fully comfortable there; I always worried that someone would come in and hurt the girls that I was in charge of. I usually watched TV so as not to hear the creaks. Sometimes I did the dishes or vacuumed. But mostly watched TV.

One night, I had to put the baby to bed. She usually slept pretty well, and I had it easy cause she let me put her to sleep with a bottle. So, I got the older girls to bed and sat down to feed the baby.

Well, being so young, after the baby cried for about an hour, I was in tears myself. I hadn't eaten, and my nerves were shot! I even tried running the vacuum cause some dumb comercial had said that would calm a baby down. It didn't!

I finally gave in and did what I should have done earlier. I called my mom. Isn't that what mom's are for? Well, my mom is a dear! She brought me a frozen burrito, helped me with the baby, told me to wash the dishes to help the family out and then left so I could finish my job.

I sure love my mom! She has saved me from many messes that I have been in. She's always there for me, even when we are hundreds of miles apart.

1 comment: