Christmas is my favorite time of the year. This is my first year married and I am enjoying starting new traditions and being with my dear, sweet husband.
The part that I love the most about Christmas is the feeling that permeates the world. I remember one Christmas, in Panama, when I was really struggling with finding that Spirit. There was no family, no snow, no friends and I was terribly homesick. I went to the store, and with a little imagination, I bought some things to help me create Christmas.
I came home with red and green tissue paper and a box of blinking Christmas lights. I crumbled the paper into little balls and taped them on the wall in the shape of a green tree and red ornaments, with the lights blinking behind.
I didn't need any more. Somehow those lights and the silly paper reminded me of the real meaning of Christmas. I was able to sit with just those lights on and remember my family and what they had taught me about Christmas. It wasn't about me. It wasn't about gifts. It was all about serving and loving those around you.
I remembered all the years that we had a smaller Christmas so that we could give Christmas to those that we knew wouldn't get anything. Christmas was a feeling, a feeling of love.
And all it took was looking at those lights to remember that. And now, my favorite thing to do during the Christmas season is to turn all the lights out, turn on the Christmas tree lights and ponder. And there is so much to ponder this wonderful time of year.
I pray that each of you are able to find your own time to ponder. That you can find that sweet spirit that comes with the Christmas season.
xoxo
I LOVE the picture in my head of your beautiful crumpled paper tree. LOVE. it.
ReplyDeleteWonderful. That was just what I needed tonight. Merry Christmas to you!
ReplyDeleteI love the new look to your blog!!! and I loved the post. Thanks for being my friend.
ReplyDeleteThe crumpled paper tree sounds so nice. I'm glad it helped you out :)
ReplyDeletePretty picture. :) And I like the new blog design.
ReplyDelete