
Grandma Lucy passed away on Sunday. I didn't get to say goodbye. And in my heart of hearts, I know that she knows that I love her. But I wish that circumstances had been more forgiving and that I would have had the ability to be at her side.
Grandma wasn't always nice to everyone. Sometimes she said things that were hurtful and mean. I didn't understand that side of my grandma. However, I always knew that she was a wonderfully sweet, giving and wise woman. She and I had a unique relationship. I could talk to her about anything and she would council me and love me and let me know that I could make it through any trial.
When we were little, my sister and I spent quite a bit of time with Grandma. There are so many memories that come to mind. She taught us how to load a dishwasher correctly. She taught us how to make nurses corners on the bed. She taught us how to drink without swallowing. She taught us that it is always best to put butter and jam on your bread. She taught us how to be ladies. I used to think that her house was so magical, almost. It always looked perfect and clean. There were special vases and figurines everywhere. It was as if I was walking into a castle.
Lately, I didn't get to visit my grandma as often as I would have liked. I thought about her all the time. And wondered how she was doing. It seemed as if one thing always led to another and I could never make it to her house. Sometimes, I was jealous of my sister, because her job allowed her to leave when she needed to and visit with grandma.
Grandma and I would often talk when I would drive home from school. Either she would call or I would call and we would discuss our days and any news we had for each other. Sometimes I would cry as I told her my difficulties and trials. Then I would listen as she told me all that I needed to hear.
I know this isn't enough justice to my dear grandma. She deserves so much more than I can write. Again, I know that she wasn't perfect, but she was my grandma. And I will always miss her and love her. I am glad to know that she is with her loved ones and that she no longer has to live in pain and loneliness. And I know that one day I will get to see her again.
I love you Grandma!
Is this the grandma that taught you to swallow without making a sound? :) Sorry to hear about your loss.
ReplyDeletethe same one. Cute lady. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great picture of the two of you. My thoughts are with you this week!
ReplyDeleteAlso - tell me about how to swallow without making a sound?
I'm sorry for your loss.
ReplyDeleteBut curious about how to drink without swallowing. She sounds like an amazing lady.
We are so sorry :(
ReplyDeleteOh my dear Tiffany, I just read Noelle's blog and want you to know how much my heart aches for you. You are in my prayers!
ReplyDelete