Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Tennis balls and Pepsi

This time of year, we usually take a trip down to St. George to visit with my dad's family. The best part of that annual trip was being able to see Grandpa Platt.

Growing up, Grandpa Platt was a very big part of our lives. He would go with us on camping trips and hikes. He would come work at the nursery later on just to spend time with family. He would have us over to his house to spend time there. And for me, he was the one of the only grandparents that I was able to really get to know. My dad's mom died when I was a baby. My mom's mom died when my mom was a baby. And my mom's other parents (it's complicated) I knew but my grandma was sick for as long as I can remember. And grandpa took care of grandma on a full time basis. So, to make a long story somewhat shorter, I really love and respect Grandpa Platt.

Grandpa wore his hats just slightly crooked on his head. He always had a ballcap on. Except in church of course. Grandpa loved to tease us! He would get us all riled up and crazy, then stop instantly and drive us all crazy. Grandpa wore tennis shoes with velcro. Maybe not always but in his older years. Grandpa was also addicted to Pepsi. He seldom drank water. Just pepsi. And he always had one with him.



One summer, we as a family, decided to hike Timp. We were all pretty young and Grandpa came along with us to help and be with the family. There is a small secret about grandpa(my dad is his favorite). Grandpa got about half way through the hike and was exhausted. He wasn't going to be able to make it all the way to the summit. So, one of us had to stay back. I decided to stay back with him. And to be completely honest, that was the most boring time of my life! He slept, and I waited and waited and waited. But I was with grandpa. That was all that mattered.

I wish he was still with us. I wish that I could go to St. George and spend time with Grandpa. I wish I could drink a pepsi with him and see his crooked smile and see the tennis balls that he would put over his trailer hitches on his truck and wonder why he did that. Those were the good old days.

5 comments:

  1. I'm thankful for grandparents. Yours sound particularly amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are amazing! can't wait to see them again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish not acquiesce in on it. I regard as polite post. Specially the designation attracted me to review the sound story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amiable dispatch and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you for your information.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi All!

    I've been trying to figure out a place to start the acai berry free trial and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on whether or not the stuff works for dieting? So far here's the one [url=http://acaiberries.zoomblog.com/]article[/url] I have been able to check out that seemed real for what my goals are. Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete