
There is a group of indigenous people that live on the islands off the coast of Panama. They are known as the Kuna Indians. There are over 300 islands in the archipelago, however only a small number of those islands are populated. They are hard working and very dedicated to their families.
Years ago, I had the privilege of living on the island of Nargana. Nargana was connected by bridge to another island, Corazon de Jesus. I was there on these islands for three months and fell in love with the culture, the ocean, the simplicity of life and the cat I adopted to kill the rats. :)
One of the things I loved the most was their dress. They are so talented and I consider the Mola (the shirt they wear) as a piece of art. Not just a shirt for them. They spend day after day designing and sewing these shirts. Often they are made for themselves, but lately they are also made for trade and sale to others as a way of making more money for their homes and families.
One of my dreams is to own as many molas as I can. I use them in my classroom, and actually have my students attempt making one every year. I miss the islands. I miss my friends. I miss their simple smile they made as they talked about the only mergi on the island. How I wish I could go back!
Such an amazing difference to what we see in the US. Wish life were that simple everywhere.
ReplyDeleteI know I sure do. I could use some simplicity today. Just so you know, I love having you across the street from mom and dad. It's so nice to see you all the time!
ReplyDelete