the end. However, instead of just one exam like they have here, they have two. They make it almost impossible for anyone to take the exam and pass it, which is why we are not married. He has attempted the exam twice and has not passed twice. However, the last time he took it, he got a 59 and he needed a 60. What a joke!We met through a friend of mine, who married his brother. They live in Pleasant Grove. They decided that we should start emailing each other, to see what could happen between us. So, in 2007, around May, we started emailing. It was really easy to get to know him through emails, because you really only get to know one side of the person that way. Then in September, he decided to come up for a visit and meet me. By November, we were engaged. And the next day, he flew back to Guatemala to finish his schooling. We were supposed to be married in July, but he didn't pass the test in March, and wanted to take it again. So he postponed the wedding until the end of August. That gave him a few more months to study and get ready. Then the school had issues and they wouldn't let him take it until December. So, he postponed the wedding again until December. By then I really started to doubt the whole thing and I wondered what we were even thinking. So, come September, I postponed the wedding.
This is such a long story!
It is now January, and we have had lots of time to re-think things and work through some of the differences in our cultures, and I am thinking that it might just end in marriage after all. I don't know for sure, and probably won't know for sure until he comes up again in March or April. I haven't seen him now for a little over 6 months, so it's kinda hard to keep all of the feelings alive, but I do believe that we hav
e the Lord on our side, and that is why it has lasted this long in the first place.Murphy is funny and smart. He has a strong testimony and honors his priesthood. He helps me relax, cause I am so serious and that is a good thing. He loves his family and loves my family. I love his family and they love me. And so, we just keep plugging along.
Maybe one day I will get to write and tell you all that I am getting married.
Wow. Murphy (love that name) looks really tall. Either that or he's wearing your black pointy high heel pumps. Which is it?
ReplyDeleteIs Murphy an indigenous Mayan name? Or is it influenced more by the Hondurian tradition? Or maybe the southern Chiapas Mexico central depression tradition? That's it. He's Zoquean from Central Chiapas. I knew it.
The name Murphy comes from the Mayan Zoquean dialect which is likely what influenced the language spoken by the decendents of Mulek along the Gulf coast of Mexico near the Guatemalan border and just nortwest of the law school where Murphy is taking his exams.
Notice the opening MUR which, in Zoequen, means more and PHY which is translated as MONEY. This guy is after the family fortune. Tell your dad to watch his fruit trees. For crying out loud. Its even coded into his Mayan Zoquean Mulekite given name. MURPHY. Its Mulekite for MORE MONEY. Lock your petunias up for sure.
Its all making sense now.
I love your comments...they help me laugh when my students are supposed to be quiet. Murhpy is tall, especially for a Guatemalan. And the name comes from a North American Athlete. His dad really liked the name while he was watching a game and decided to name his next son Murphy.
ReplyDeleteHowever, your very ingenious to come up with all of that fun stuff that you inserted. It kept me well entertained.
But, if it will make you feel any better, I will lock up all of our flowers, not just the petunias.
I loved the pictures. My vote is a wedding for sure. Just because I can't talk to him doesn't mean I don't like the guy.
ReplyDeleteLol! Mr. Woolley, you make me laugh. Thanks for that. Ummm...you already know what I think :) But whatever is best for you hermana mia...that's all that matters.
ReplyDelete