This year I have been teaching the ESL class at Alta High School. For the first part of the year, I only had four students. Either Spanish speaking or Portuguese. So it became really easy to allow them to speak in their native languages. They were all understood. But halfway through the year, I realized that we had lost about 8 other students somehow. So, we went through a messy process to get them into my class.
Some of that required me to call parents and tell them that they needed to be in this class. Some didn't speak English, and the student had to translate for them. I was pretty excited about this, because the more students you have, the more likely they will speak with each other, and then learn English faster.
Today, however, I am realizing my limitations. I now have Spanish, Korean, Portuguese, Cantonese and whatever they speak in Iran. Whooooooooa......my brain is going to hurt when I get through with this class.
I'm sure of it!!!
:) You should just learn Cantanese and Hindi (the main language spoken in India)..that way you can make your students lives easier!
ReplyDeleteAnd when I say main...I mean official :) There are a MILLION different languages/dialects spoken in India.
ReplyDeletewell aren't you the smart one! I should learn Cantonese and such...it would be really good for me!
ReplyDeleteWell...you know...I try...sometimes :)
ReplyDelete