Tuesday, April 27, 2010

the new cousins

Quite some time ago, when I was in my early teens, we went to Pinto for a family reunion. This wasn't just aunts and uncles and cousins. This was cousins of my dad and their kids. So my second cousins. We had never met before.

One night, cause there isn't a lot to do in Pinto, we were all gathered in the pavilion type building playing games. I was sitting next to my dad, watching as they played dominoes. It was a pretty low key evening, filled with "do you remember when's" and "we used to's".

There was a kid sitting farther down the table from me, and I had no idea we were second cousins. Come to find out his name was Ben. Same as my brother. Who knew there were two Ben Platt's in the world. (I know, there are more, but I didn't realize it then.)



this is Ben



We all became great friends. Ben and Brandon and Nesha and Noelle and Becca and I and so on and so forth. We went everywhere together and participated in all the activities and stuff.


this is Brandon


(I have to admit that even thought a second cousing, I was young enough it was still ok to have a crush on Ben) Well, when the reunion was over, they went back to Wyoming and we went to our house in Utah county. We didn't really communicate a ton, but when it was time for Ben to go on a mission, we knew about it. So, Noelle and I drove to Wyoming to see him off. It was a blast! His family came to Utah when it was time for Noelle and Becca to leave on a mission. And through it all we were still pretty good friends. And when Ben came home, Becca and I drove back up to Wyoming and welcomed him home.

this is the family

Life happens and we haven't really seen or spoken to each other for years. I went to the funeral of my dad's aunt recently and saw Brandon and Nesha there, but neither of them remembered who I was. I am too shy and afraid of making myself look dumb, so I didn't say anything to them. I now, I'm silly.

But the point of all of this, is that the other day, I had the most random dream of Ben. I don't know why, except that maybe looking through pictures for the wedding video, I saw one of him and it brought it all back. I liked having new cousins. I liked that we got along great with each other. It's nice to have family. Maybe one day I'll run into them again and be brave enough to say Hi 'new cousins'!

2 comments:

  1. Pinto...I grew up just a few miles from there. I am shocked to even find a post with the location of Pinto in it. How funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. where did you grow up? What was the name of the town. My grandpa grew up in Meadow. Lovely place it is...if I remember correctly.

    ReplyDelete