Friday, November 20, 2009

Miracles

A couple of weeks ago, I participated in a conference for all foreign language teachers at Weber State. I love this conference. Mostly because I get to see old friends and catch up on their lives. The classes are pretty good, too. It's always a day I get to fill my bucket so that I can find the desire and energy to keep teaching. This last time, I was able to re-connect with a dear friend. She was my mentor while I did my student teaching and I learned so much from her. It was delightful to catch up and rekindle that friendship.

Diana has experienced some real difficult times over the last year or so, and as she sat down to tell me about her life, I gained even more love and respect for her. She talked about her little daughter that was born this summer. Her precious little daughter that had a heart defect. This heart defect only occurs in 1% of all infants. I was saddened for her and amazed at her strength and her peace. (you can read more about her experience on her blog http://my-sweetheart-girl.blogspot.com) As we talked, I learned about many people that go through this and the community they have created to support each other during hard times. As I have read her blog, I have become familiar with a new term that she uses; heart friends.

Yesterday afternoon, my sister-in-law gave birth to their second little boy. I was the first to hold him, besides the parents, and so many thoughts went through my mind as I looked at this perfect little bundle. What a miracle! Our Heavenly Father has given so many the chance to be parents and bring such beautiful babies into this world. I thought of my friend Diana and wondered about the journey each of us agrees to take on the earth. The plan of salvation teaches that we all have a plan. We all made decisions in our pre-earth life about what our mission here on earth would be. Merideth, Diana's little one, had a mission. What is was we may never know. But she fulfilled her mission here on earth and now has the privilege of living with our Father in Heaven. My new nephew has yet to fulfill his mission on earth. He has his life before him. We don't know how long that life is, but I do know that no matter how long or how short, his life is beautiful.


After reading about a number of Diana's heart friends and crying while doing so, I feel such a peace. I feel very blessed and very lucky to be a member of the Church of Jesus Christ. To know that God hears and answeres our prayers. To know that He has a plan for each of us, and He wants us to succeed. I know that. I know that He will continue to bless us with these little miracles in our lives and that we can learn so much from these little ones. I know that He loves us. And with that said, I love this little nephew of mine! He is perfect and I can't wait to watch as his mission unfolds.

No comments:

Post a Comment