Thursday, November 13, 2008

WHY?

So, yesterday was one of those days that I wish I could be more like my dad. He rarely loses his cool; he never swears, he is always rational and he thinks before he lets anything out. So, I wish that yesterday, I had been given his gifts.

I was in my eighth period class; they're the worst one I have. They aren't nice. Plain and simple! I like individuals in the class, but I really don't like them when they are together. So, yesterday, they were working really quietly for the first time this year. There was no talking and I was sooooo impressed. I felt like we were making progress. Alicia, a really good friend and fellow teacher, stopped by to introduce me to her new baby boy. I was so excited to see her! And her baby is adorable, by the way!

I stepped out of my classroom to talk with her for a minute. I was dumb and should have invited her in, cause it was cold and the baby didn't like it. But, I wanted the class to stay on task and not get disrupted by my talking. We visited for a few minutes and then the baby was really mad, so she figured she should go home. I knocked on the door....and nothing happened! (my door locks automatically) Dumb door!

I knocked again, and they didn't open it. I kicked it this time, and they kicked back. I kicked again, and they kicked back. By this time, baby is crying more and I really just need to be let in. They start being even more annoying, by telling me that I have to repeat after them to be let back in. I was mad! That is about all I can say about that. This went on for a few more minutes, and finally they opened the door. I just looked at them and told them there was a crying baby out there and what kind of people are they, anyway. I said goodbye to Alicia and began to be a teacher again.

Well, I handled things pretty well. I didn't yell or anything. I just told them that there would be a consequence to their actions, and I would let them know what that consequence was going to be before the bell rang. We went about our day and things were a little tense because they knew they had been really big jerks. But, it was okay.

About ten minutes before class ended, I explained to them what the consequence would be. Since I wasn't in the classroom to see who was actually doing it, I was going to dock participation points from all of them. This one kid, who has only been in my class for about a week, gets all smart and says "that is a bunch of crap". Well, I snapped.

I looked at him and said, 'no, I'll tell you what is crap', and I proceeded to explain to them that it was crap to come to this class. That they treated me like ...... insert swear word. I know, I am a bad teacher. I told them that they forgot sometimes that even though I am a teacher, I have feelings and that sometimes, they hurt those feelings. That sometimes I want to quit my job because of their class. That sometimes, I even go home and cry because of they way they treat me. It was very powerful, and I think I hit home with a lot of them. In the end of this speech, I apologized for swearing and told them that I shouldn't have done so, but that I felt really strongly about it.

Let's just say they were very subded for a the last few minutes of class. So, the question is WHY? Why do I teach? What was I thinking? What it all boils down to is that I really do love my job. I just hate the way that some of my students treat me. All in all, it was a very interesting day!

Moral of the story; it just isn't worth it to swear! :)

3 comments:

  1. I've been there! Yesterday I had to teach a 3rd grade class for just about 30 minutes, and I was ready to swear at them--especially two of the naughty boys. Life as a teacher. . .we should write books or publish diaries. We'd make a ton of money because no one would believe what we put up with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right! No one would believe it. I could never do elementary ed...kudos to you! How are you feeling? Things going well? It's nice to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ummm...I think you should come up with a consequence that is funny...LIKE...here's an example. On Dr. Quinn there is an orphan boy that always goes into the general store and tries to steal cigars. So the owner gives him like 6 cigars and makes him smoke them all at once. It got rid of his fixation for cigars that is for sure. SOOO you should make them do something like that :)
    Boo students :p

    ReplyDelete